Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Last Day in Cold Paradise

Mike and I are at the hotel and will be leaving for the airport at 5AM. This has been a most amazing journey.
*Mike visited with 22 pastors, 3 or 4 Directors of Missions for Associations, and state executive for Alaska. This accounted for about 1/4th of all pastors in Alaska.

*We traveled about 70% of the Alaska Highway system. We traveled to the end of the highway in Fairbanks in the North, to Seward, the end of the highway which is southeast I think they call it.

*The sky was clear on our way from Fairbanks and we were able to see Mt. McKinley, which at over 20,000 ft. is the highest in North America. On our way back to Anchorage today, the sky was clear and we stopped on top of a mtn. and were able to see it over 350 miles away. It is massive. We also got to see three volcanoes and a glacier

*Mike spoke in the largest Southern Baptist Church in Alaska and probably the smallest. Both groups of people were openly friendly and transparent in their love of God.

* I ate salmon,and halibut, but no moose or bear. I did not get to see a live bear or moose. Everyone has been very surprised that we did not see them.

*The lowest temp in the 12 days was 25 yesterday morning and the highest was 51 the first day here. The sunrise when we arrived was 7:24. Today it was 8:09. I don't know the sunset, but it is pretty dark by 6PM.

Alaska is a landscape photographer's paradise, unfortunately, I am not a great photographer.

1 comment:

Grana said...

It sounds like you have had some great scenery to see! My dad had some of his salmon and halibut that he had caught in Anchorage, shipped to us and that was some of the best I have ever had! I'm glad you got to go and see it all! Blessings!